Sunday, October 4, 2015

Wake me up when September Ends!

Greetings friends, family and confrere,

It has been a wild month. That's right, I have been here for a month already! Once classes began life got very busy and I was not able to post as often as I ( and I am sure you) would have liked. So, here is a synthesis of what I have been doing.

Classes:
This semester I am taking quite a few classes along with my classmates! I am taking; Inspiration- Canon- Hermeneutics (Bible), Biblical Archeology, Synoptic Gospels- Acts of the Apostles, Biblical Greek 1 (ΧαιΡε), Fundamental Theology, Introduction to Liturgy, Church History I, Methodology, Italian I, in addition to visiting the various Holy Sites (Topographical Visits) and visiting places of history from Biblical Times (Archeological Excursions)

These classes take up the majority of my time. They are great and I am learning a lot of interesting things. For instance, greek, I never thought I would have been learning greek.

Community:
Community is great! Never in any house have i seen such a diverse gathering of confrere. We are 39 students and 11 staff members. During the month of October we pray the Rosary as a community. It is amazing to hear the prayers of the Rosary in many different languages.

Daily schedule:
It is a jam packed schedule. The morning begins at 6:25am with morning prayer. After morning prayer there is Mass immediately following and the meditation. After morning exercises of prayer there is breakfast and then chores. After chores there is class. My chore this month is to clean the Chapel. After chores is class time. We are in class from 8:45- 12:15 with a few breaks. After class there is lunch at 12:30. Following lunch there is some sort of recreation usually at 13:15. On Monday we play basketball, Tuesday we play volleyball, Wednesday we play soccer (or as everyone else calls it football) and Thursday we play basketball again. On Friday and Saturday we do not play any games outside in observance of the Jewish sabbath. Usually on Friday and Saturday the second - fourth years have an apostolic ministry.

Special outing:
We went to the beach about a week ago on September 24. The water was great! It was about 80 degrees. The waves were a lot of fun too. There was a slight undertow but it didn't bother me too much. The lifeguards were very apprehensive of the undertow and didn't let people go too far out.
I ended up getting a wicked sunburn on my lower back. It was brutal.

Learning curve:
Everything here is measured in meters and kilometers. The temperature is measured in centigrade. I need to learn these things. Also, the English here is all British English,  which is frustrating. There are random E and the end of a word. Random U are there as well. All very odd.

Upcoming:
Next week we are going to visit Galilee. I will be praying for you and will be posting a lot of photos to Facebook!

Until the next writing,
God bless,
Br. Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment