Thursday, September 10, 2015

Day One

Less than 24 hours in Jerusalem and I encountered my first mistake...I slept in. I need to get an alarm clock. I made it to Mass for the Liturgy of the Eucharist. I will do better.

After breakfast Br. Dieunel offered to take me and one of my other confrere to the Holy Sepulchre. It was beautiful

It was a beautiful visit to the place where Jesus died and was entombed. I felt so surreal when visiting there this morning. Upon first entering the Church there is the stone of anointment. This is where Jesus' body was prepared to be entombed. 
I followed the lead of Br. Dieunel and knelt down and kissed the stone. After visiting there we proceeded up a steep stair case to Golgotha. This is where Jesus was Crucified. This was a most moving place to pray. While waiting in line to pray I had one thought: Jesus is Lord. It popped into my mind because of C.S. Lewis' line of, "Jesus is either a lunatic, a liar, or Lord." When I knelt down to pray I was overcome with emotion. I look forward to going back to prayer here....often. 










After visiting and praying at Golgotha we went back down stairs to the Tomb. It is very small but very beautiful. 
I could not get pictures inside because I was praying and there was a line. But next time I will get some photos to share. 

As I walked to and from the Monastery I came across a bit of home. The American Consulate of Jerusalem is less than a 5 minute walk from our Monastery. 

And lastly, here is the front of the building of where I am living for the next four years. 

Until next time be assured of my prayers. Please pray for me and all of my brothers here. 

God bless,
Br. Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment