Sunday, March 13, 2011

Temptation


Yet again I am looking to relate more and more to Jesus. I keep telling myself that you can't compare yourself to Jesus, He's God, and I am not. And to some degree I know this is true, but then I turn to the Scriptures and I see myself in so much of what Christ does and goes through.

When reading and meditating through them I am filled with insight not only to the Divine of the Savior and also into his human Nature. St. Paul writes in Hebrews 4:15,  


"For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who has similarly been tested in every way, yet without sin."

This strikes me in a way that it hasn't before.

Christ's humanity is made real in this passage. He experienced everything that I have and will go through. All of my temptations, all of my pain, all of my agony, all of everything good and bad, He knows and has experienced. He has emotions, fears, and other things. But He never sinned. Satan himself tempted Jesus in the desert (Matthew 4: 1-11) and Jesus just told Satan to get away from him. How easy and simple it seems to just be able to tell Satan to go away. How often do we? The faith of Jesus in His Father's will is tremendous.

Now this faith that Jesus possesses is in each of us, whether we know it or not. Because you are created in the Image and Likeness of God you have an intimate connection with Him. You are loved by God, so much so that He sent His only Son, Jesus Christ, to Earth to die for our sins. All we are required to do is to live our life modeled on Christ's teachings and be obedient to God in our daily lives.

There are times when we don't want to be obedient to God's will in our lives on a daily basis. Jesus was tempted in this regard also. In His Agony in the Garden Matthew 26:39,


"He advanced a little and fell prostrate in prayer, saying, 'My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from me; yet, not as I will, but as you will.'"


 But Jesus stayed true to His Father's will and allowed Himself to submit to the will of the Heavenly Father. Jesus was tempted, but he again told Satan to go away. He followed His Father's plan. So to should we.

Let us make a prayer,
Father, thank you for the gift of your Son. I know that you sent your Son to this Earth to redeem mankind and to bring us back into your Divine Presence. He freed us from the bondage of sin through His blood. Grant us the same courage and strength to tell Satan to go away from us as your Son did; allowing us to do your Holy Will in all that we do.
Amen.

God is good!

2 comments:

  1. (Trying again)

    Great blog, Adam! I enjoyed reading this! Nice way to start my morning. :)

    ReplyDelete