Friday, January 28, 2011

Making the Gospel come Alive


Don't ask what the world needs.
Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it.
 Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.
-Howard Thurman

So I'm sitting at my desk listening to my crazy pop/dance music (you can probably tell that this isn't Nov. Adam) before heading over to Corpus Christi Church for their Don Bosco Fun Night, and one song in particular comes on that makes me think. For those of you playing the home edition, the song is called Raise Your Glass and it's by P!nk. It's been on a playlist that I use for my alarm, but listening to it this evening just brought me a surge of joy- I remembered that as Salesians we use whatever we have at our disposal to bring the Gospel message alive for the young people we serve (bet you thought I was going to say bring the Gospel to young people... truth is they tend to bring it to us in ways we couldn't possibly imagine).


So I'm listening to this song, and I'm insanely grateful that there is music out there that I can use as a Salesian to reinforce how young people are really created with the fingerprints of God all over them- they (and we) are unique, individual, one of a kind, priceless creations. I'm grateful that in a world that makes our young people feel like they have to be whatever image of "perfect" is shoved down their throats, there are artists out there who reinforce that they are special, unique, one of a kind creations. It's my job as a Salesian to make the connection between what the artist creates and what God has created, and it's so much fun doing it!


There are so many means for helping young people bring the Gospel alive, and (at the risk of sounding blunt) it's our own fault if we don't make use of them. So blog, sing, paint, draw, act, do whatever it is that gets you going, and if it really makes you alive and connected to the wider community, I'd be willing to bet that it's inspired


In case you haven't heard the song before- here's Raise Your Glass by P!nk



No comments:

Post a Comment